Fiberglass cores

General conversation about anything, hopefully even slightly related to padded-weapon fighting.
Hårdgrim
Asemies

Fiberglass cores

Viesti Kirjoittaja Hårdgrim » Sunnuntai, 26.02.2017 12:19

I was re-reading the English translation of the rules at http://forum.sotahuuto.fi/viewtopic.php?t=8219 and noticed that they claim fiberglass cores are allowed. Checking the official rules at http://sotahuuto.fi/node/78, I see no mention of materials restrictions for swords, and fiberglass is explicitly allowed for spears.

This contradicts what I've been told in person, so could someone clarify?

If we can use (solid 12mm) fiberglass cores, that would be great, since then we can use the weapons we're used to (assuming of course they otherwise pass muster).

Thanks,
-Lars/Perial of Monachium
olho
Sotalordi

Re: Fiberglass cores

Viesti Kirjoittaja olho » Keskiviikko, 01.03.2017 00:20

I cannot tell if an exception can be made for your group, but in our current rules fiber cores are not allowed in swords. Most people use PP or sometimes PVC pipe.
Hårdgrim
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja Hårdgrim » Torstai, 16.03.2017 00:56

But you allow fiberglass for spears? In either case, you should clarify that in the rules.

I can understand outlawing fiberglass pipes, they are fragile, but 12 mm solid cores are nigh unbreakable.

You could meaningfully allow weapons that pass under the more stringent Belegarth/Dagorhir rules. Such swords are made for much more abuse than yours.

-Lara/Perial of Monachium
olho
Sotalordi

Viesti Kirjoittaja olho » Maanantai, 20.03.2017 16:53

Yes. Fiberglass pipes (20 - 30 mm) are allowed in spears pending on the length of the weapon, but must be taped to prevent splintering. It's clearly visible and with bold font on 2016 Finnish language rules.

As far as I'm aware we don't have solid fiberglass cores on any of our weapons, but my information on this might be outdated.

I personally would enjoy 12 mm solid cores if they were found safe to use by our large, inexperienced and often unarmored player base.
Tyrisalthan
Kreivi

Viesti Kirjoittaja Tyrisalthan » Tiistai, 21.03.2017 22:17

As for my understanding fiberglass is forbidden sword material for safety reasons. There is a fear that in a though spot it will break peoples joints and bones, since it is so sturdy that it will not bend instead of people. The longer the weapon the more it bends, so in long spears it will bend enought to be safe.
Avatarin kuvasta kiitokset Joona Lönnille
Hårdgrim
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja Hårdgrim » Keskiviikko, 12.04.2017 22:36

12mm (and even 10mm) solid cores are used by thousands of Belegrim and Dagorhirim that are, on the whole, equally inexperienced and unarmored - actually you tend to have more armor than most of them, and hit softer. While I don't have specific data (they don't tend to collect those), the "tough spot" scenario is not really an issue in my experience.

I actually regard your weapons as less safe than ours, since the pipe easily breaks (I broke two swords my first time at Sotahuuto), and if you don't notice in time, you could be stabbing someone with a raw PVC edge. Your weapons would not be allowed in our fights for safety reasons.

-Lars/Perial of Monachium
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “General discussion in English”