Medieval fighting events

General conversation about anything, hopefully even slightly related to padded-weapon fighting.
Susikukko
Hauhocanus

Re: Medieval fighting events

Viesti Kirjoittaja Susikukko » Sunnuntai, 17.11.2013 11:55

oh, well I guess It will always be a challenge to move the team and its gears to the foreign country, even if it was neighbor country and challenge are to be win. I thing if there would be a finnish or nordic team we could get some support from the goverment or EU or even sponsors?

Btw. are this the rules that we are using on 23.11.? Are the rules any different with boffers or training swords?

http://battleofthenations.ua/index.php/ ... rules.html

Can I use a synthetic swords as training swords?

http://www.reddragonarmoury.com/product ... words.html
Koskahan sitä ehtis taas sohuun?
ganzknapp
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja ganzknapp » Sunnuntai, 17.11.2013 19:18

We shall use buhurt hmb rules for group fights
We shall use hmb pro-combat rules for singles (1 on 1) and boffering (since our league in saint-petersburg uses pro-combat rules) it is a mix of buhurt and tournament for two))). I'll try to find english rules for that, otherwise i'll translate them till tomorrow

Considering swords- they look fine to me. But that is why we need event inspection time in our event timetable.

So, here is an update.
For singles and boffering we use World Medieval Fighting Championship rules
http://worldmfc.com/
Our league is going to use WMFC rules, with two major exceptions.
The first is the combat formula
5rounds 2 minutes each instead of 3 rounds 3 minutes each.
And the second
First event will use fiberglass and duraluminium weapons instead of steel ones

In our training we'll make a major emphasis on this discipline. As it employs boffering training to large extent, and of course we'll try it out with steel (or wooden clubs)

The winner is a combatant, who scores the most amount of points through 5 rounds (3 rounds originaly) of combat.
Combatants score points for
1) Strong hit with blade, shield, punch (or elbow hit) or kick score 1 point
2) Succesfull throw or sweep score 3 points .After the throw or sweep, the fighter on top may perform "finishing hits" (between 1 and 3) each hit gives 1 point (up to a total of three) Top position is: on both legs when opponent is on one or both knees And/Or on knees when opponent is lying on the floor
3) Series of at least three strong blows with at least 2 scoring hits provide extra 1 point
4) Loss of weapon deduct 3 points. Any actions after one combatant lost his weapon don't provide any points.
5) Knockdown- 5 points
6) Knockout- win
7) Thrusting hits (impaling hits), choking during wrestling and armlocks- 10 points penalty
Wrestling lasts no more than 4 second, in case there are no strong blows delivered and no sweeps/throws performed

Weapons (steel)
sword 1400-1800 gramms
falchion 1400-1800
axe 800-1500

Weapons (fiberglass)
Sword 800-1500
Falchion 800-1200
Axe 500-800

In cause of our open training we won't fight all 5 rounds, we will make a boffering (and then steel) rounders, which means, that 2 fighters fight for 1 minute, than one of fighter changes, after another minute another fighter changers, which allows everyone to fight for 2 minutes.
IF someone is too tired, than he quits the queue for the next round, and that works until there are only two, who fight for 1 or 2 extra rounds.

Of course in training we don't really judge, but we notify about most important things (like loss of weapon, timing and inactive wrestling)
Susikukko
Hauhocanus

Viesti Kirjoittaja Susikukko » Tiistai, 19.11.2013 17:05

Whou, Now there's a program. Was their also use for own mma equipment?

Who is becoming to the restaurant Stone to continue the day with eat / drink after the event? St. Petersburg hosts are apparently becoming all 4? Restaurant would like to know how many is goming at least at 21.11.
ganzknapp
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja ganzknapp » Tiistai, 19.11.2013 17:27

MMA equipment is used all the way in boffering.
Actually, boffering is major part of our trainings, since it is impossible to train too much in full armor, since it affects knee joints and spine alot.
So, remember
mouthguards, and groin protection.
ganzknapp
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja ganzknapp » Tiistai, 19.11.2013 22:02

In our club there are few new and used pieces of armor for sale. They are well made, and historically authentic.
Are you interested if I post prices and images?
There are shin protection, hip protection and wristguards
ganzknapp
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja ganzknapp » Perjantai, 22.11.2013 10:22

The event is going to happen tomorrow. So a bit of extra:
It would be nice if someone could bring 2-3 old tires. Preferably SUV size, but normal would be allright.
If someone could bring 12+ meters of thick rope (at least 10mm diameter) that could also be used.
Susikukko
Hauhocanus

Viesti Kirjoittaja Susikukko » Sunnuntai, 24.11.2013 14:11

Thank you to all participants and especially for the hosts from Nurnberg club. I'll do a more detailed bulletin / report as long as I can get all the facts right and the next date of the event confirmed. As well as great pictures and videos!

Now put all your images online, in order us to continue the promoting in Finland. Particular, images from boffer step is needed. I shooted just armoured step = (

Joni North and Valter Aspö
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Ilmari Kuikka
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0yosbo9czcd50ii/EQUEo5qPkF

Valter Aspö
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Viimeksi muokannut Susikukko, Maanantai, 25.11.2013 23:31. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
ganzknapp
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja ganzknapp » Maanantai, 25.11.2013 10:37

I want to thank everyone who visited our event.
That was great and even from the start we could see a good perspective for finns in historical fighting and our particular events in 2014.
So share photos, discuss, and ask questions.
We will inform of next events both in Helsinki and Saint-Petersburg.
Rezagh
Sotilasmestari

Viesti Kirjoittaja Rezagh » Tiistai, 26.11.2013 20:47

Thank you for your event. It was really interesting and gave us a whole new perspective to the medieval fighting :)

Maybe next year Häme Medieval Faire (8/2014) would be great opportunity to promote steel fighting. Past few years i have seen there some "fighting" shows but they are mostly pre-planned and manuscripted. Only exception was SCA fighting but it is not the same as fighting with steel weapons. I think Battle of Nations -style combat would be a great addition to the program.
Se mikä ei tapa, sattuu aivan kamalasti!
ganzknapp
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja ganzknapp » Torstai, 28.11.2013 13:36

would be interesting not to present on that Faire, but make a performance between us and our finnish coleagues)))) august is far away, would be nice to see people, that attended our event there)))) Of course we need to discuss and prepare for that)
Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “General discussion in English”