International battle events in Estonia

Conversation prior to Sotahuuto 2007 and feedback afterwards.
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

International battle events in Estonia

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Keskiviikko, 11.04.2007 16:22

Azor kirjoitti:Seeing this, I can't but say: we have to pay you guys a return visit (if you care us ;) ) some time after Sotahuuto. Those battle grounds with forts and such look very intriguing. I personally haven't ever been in a battle with "props" of this nature, but I think in some events similar has been done in Finland as well (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

And as being said before: the distance between our two fighting cultures is only 80 km, much can be learned between us, I think.

You are MOST welcome my friends!

If you need ANY information don't hesitate to bombard me with questions. Either by PM or e-mail allan@vgk.ee.

There are two (annual) battle events on witch you could see and use the fort we have built.

---

First of all a game about the uprising of "Jüriöö" in 15th. century. More than 300 participants already registered. An international event (gamers from Latvia and Russia). There is no participation fee - yap, the event is free for all, lodging in tents, but you will be well fed by us. (So you can spend the money on ferry tickets).

The event is in about a week on 21-22 of april. Registration is open til 16th of april. I am one of the main organizers so if you wish to come, please contact me privately.

I can aid you with weapons and gear.

---

Secondly - and maybe of most interest to you is the "Nordic Equinox" a big international battle event, very similar to Sotahuuto - You'd fit right in, with no problems whatsoever. You can even keep and use your colors, banners and groups.

And maybe I can even allow you to use your weapons (if not I can help you in providing simple weapons you can use). All your shields and armor you can use with no problem whatsoever.

It will cost in the range of 10-20 euros (food and possibly lodging included). And will be held in 14-16 of September, this year.

I am also one of the main organizers so you can pre-register or get info directly from me.

---

---

Thirdly there is a international mythological festival "Mütofest", held 20-22 of July. Not exactly a larp or a battle event but a great thing all together. Participation will cost in the range of 10-20 Euros - and there will be a larp. Besides that there are concerts, workshops and master classes on different subjects connected to mythology.

I am not the organizer of this event but the main organizer is a very good friend of mine and I know he'd dearly like you to come. I can give you the contacts.
Beat up new and interesting people, Nordic Equinox 2013

13.-15. September

http://www.ancalagon.ee
Sorontur
Asemies

Re: International battle events in Estonia

Viesti Kirjoittaja Sorontur » Keskiviikko, 11.04.2007 17:16

Bernard kirjoitti:Thirdly there is a international mythological festival "Mütofest", held 20-22 of July. Not exactly a larp or a battle event but a great thing all together. Participation will cost in the range of 10-20 Euros - and there will be a larp. Besides that there are concerts, workshops and master classes on different subjects connected to mythology.
This year we have participants from the Netherlands, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Germany etc. etc. etc... and, yes, from Finland, too - Harmaasudet, if I'm not mistaken. They have promised to carry out a short demo-larp of their own.

There are concerts by performers of international range: Krauka (Denmark), Auli (Latvia), Tyr (Denmark), Celtic Cirkle (Estonia), Tulli Lum (Livonia) etc; in the workshops leatherworking, bronze casting, ceramics and the making of brooches, bracelets and chain-mail is taught. Bernard, for example, teaches how to assault a castle in the proper way. ;)

I myself am the game-master of the larp-part of Mytofest, responsible for foreign players - this means that if you are interested or have any questions you can contact me directly.

Bernard kirjoitti:the uprising of "Jüriöö" in 15th. century
14th century...
JonTzu
Sotahuuto '11 -järjestäjä

Viesti Kirjoittaja JonTzu » Keskiviikko, 11.04.2007 17:26

These events sound extremely interesting. The people interested in Sotahuuto are mainly into fighting, which of these evens have most fighting with least downtime or larp?
"Harjoittelemalla hyvä tulee."
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Keskiviikko, 11.04.2007 17:55

No I'am most certainly not - Sorontur! If at all - I will join Mütofest as a participant and even that is currently unlikely.

---

Jüriöö is mostly battle (a bit of work has to be done before we can start and an hour or two of roleplaying, until it gets dark - the uprising will start in the dark).

Nordic Equinox is similar to Sotahuuto a lot of battle.

I put Mütofest as last because it is not strictly a larp nor a battle event - it might still interest you though (there will be larping and fighting - but Sorontur can tell you more - if you are interested torture him).

13.-15. September

Sorontur
Asemies

Viesti Kirjoittaja Sorontur » Keskiviikko, 11.04.2007 18:06

Hm, my mistake then. I had the impression that you do.
Keisari_P
Ylläpito

Viesti Kirjoittaja Keisari_P » Torstai, 12.04.2007 02:14

Bernard kirjoitti:There is no participation fee - yap, the event is free for all, lodging in tents, but you will be well fed by us.
How is this possiple? :shock: Where do you get the funding?
Sotahuuto 2006 area rent costed about 1000€, Foods about 2000€ for around 270 mouths + all the little costs from organizing. We got only 50€ sponsoring (besides ~300 l sports drings from Dexal). The entrance fee was 15€ for participants. This was considering the meals and showers, cheap.

This comes a bit short notice, but I myself am interested to join Jüriöö. Maybe some others from Ryhmä Rämä might come too. We are having a meeting tomorrow and I will definately bring up this topic.
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Torstai, 12.04.2007 02:40

True. The costs are high - and we even provide free transportation to the game area and back from two major Estonian cities (Tallinn and Tartu).

Unfortunately all places in the free transportation are taken. But if you'd really come on such a short notice, I would consider this a great courtesy from your side and thus repay it by organizing your coming and stay in Estonia.

The funds are raised from different sponsors and governmental institutions. The historic event of Jüriöö is well known and allows for a strong response from national and cultural institutions. We have done this for years now and hardly any big event goes without some money from external sources.

Sadly, going into detail with this would mean typing texts about financing, long enough for several lectures or seminars. I am sorry but I just don't feel up to it. If we meet behind a mug of good drink and have some time to spare, we can talk about it.

---

A thing about Jüriöö event is that we gather the people around and for the first half of the day they clean out the area from winter debris, carry logs to the construction site and peel them, at the same time, cleaned logs are set into place and thus the castle raised a bit more.

For that help we "reward" the participants with free meals (during evening meal two roasted wild boars (Lat. sus scrofa) are served right from the stake), and a HUGE free battle event in the evening.

During the day, there will be some demonstrational battles (for the cameras and press), a short training session to fully explain the nuances of combat rules to everybody, a short lecture about Jüriöö uprising and it's historic significance - and after that.

During the whole day the Germans (players) have (excuse my French) pissed off the Estonians (players) to the point where it will be a revolt and a major siege and spilling of beauteous blood on both sides. It's a bit work, a lot of jokes and fun and a hardy night battle with all you could wish for (castles, torches, sieges, groups lurking in the forest and ambushing reinforcements)

The "Jüriöö Ülestõus" is a night-time game!

Needless to say, it is by far the most popular larp(-battle) event in Estonia.

(We are currently up to 315 players - by 16th we have hit 350 :) )

13.-15. September

N.Hirvelä
Sotahuuto '09 -järjestäjä
Viesti:

Re: International battle events in Estonia

Viesti Kirjoittaja N.Hirvelä » Tiistai, 03.07.2007 22:14

Bernard kirjoitti:
Secondly - and maybe of most interest to you is the "Nordic Equinox" a big international battle event, very similar to Sotahuuto - You'd fit right in, with no problems whatsoever. You can even keep and use your colors, banners and groups.

And maybe I can even allow you to use your weapons (if not I can help you in providing simple weapons you can use). All your shields and armor you can use with no problem whatsoever.

It will cost in the range of 10-20 euros (food and possibly lodging included). And will be held in 14-16 of September, this year.

I am also one of the main organizers so you can pre-register or get info directly from me.
Few question about this event.
We, Galens, are very intresed about this event and now when Sotahuuto is over for this year, we think that we might to come to your event.
Have you any site in english or finnish were is more information about this event? Or can you say something information, like can we use our weapons? Would there been any who will little guide us in there? What about accommodation (did I use right word?) ?
And all information would be great help to us. :)
http://scafightingfinland.com/ - Tule mukaan lyömään haarniskassa kovaa, mutta turvallisesti!
http://scafightingfinland.com/forums/ Rottinkitaistelun uudet foorumit
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Keskiviikko, 04.07.2007 12:48

We will have one of our big international events, "Mytofest" in the end of july, after that we will start heavily promoting "Nordic Equinox".

Some pictures from previous year:
http://www.dragon.ee/gallery/2006

Preliminary information:

The event will be in the third weekend of September (there are 5 weekends in sept. this year), that means 14. 15. and 16. of September, 2007.

The place will be the historic site and ancienta theme park of Kassinurme in Estonia. (the same place Räma's representatives went when attending "Jüriöö")

Lodging will be in tents. Last year we had some problems with heated tents but this year we'll try and solve them. Still it might be a good idea to have your own tent - just in case.

The price for the event is not yet set, but it will be in the range of 15 EUR (that includes food: 5-6 meals).

Every foreign group will have their own contact person, to guide them through the registration process and help with whatever is needed.

About weapons - I will try to make adjustments in the rules systems to allow at least some of your weapons. The rules will be put out in due time and in English.

---

Here is the general background of the event and NE world. Make no mistake - despite the fantastical setting it is a battle event with scenarios and pauses between them - exactly like Sotahuuto. And as you see, you can be whatever you like, either your actual group of Finnish boffer fighters or some historic/fantastic company of warriors.
Legends of Equinox

Of The Pact and the creation of the world!

Time before time

In the beginning, even before time, there was chaos. Great powers whirled in the formless void each trying to form it in his image.

Slowly two of the greatest, Light and Darkness arose, drove others aside and battled each other relentlessly. During this conflict, things both beautiful and terrible were wrought and destroyed. Out of the void new creatures and powers were formed. Many things perished but many endured. But still there was no life or death for time itself did not exist.

As the conflict raged, one by one all the other forces allied themselves with either Light or Darkness. The duality of the world was represented in everything. It was the first order of things – two sides in conflict.

And lo! Suddenly the chaos was no more and the void was no more and there was time. And because of time there was life, and for the first time in eternity there was something to lose.

In the eye of the storm

Shocked and surprised by the change in the nature of things, the forces halted. In this brief moment a fragile truce was made. It was decided that equilibrium should be maintained between Light and Darkness. The world and all things in it were divided equally and for that time all reluctantly agreed to this arrangement.

During this time of uneasy peace the first mortals appeared. Mere flickers of life compared to the nearly endless existence of the forces. They came in many shapes, some more and some less powerful. And like a rising tide they thrived in the peace and became mighty in their own accord.

Still there were both subtle hostilities and open conflicts. Forces changed sides and even the newly appeared mortals started meddling in this all-engulfing war. The order was threatened.

The Pact

Not to undo what was wrought, not to lose what was gained and not to return to chaos, the forces stopped their struggle once again. This time they conceded that for the conflict to end, either Light or Darkness should be declared the mightier. To judge this, a neutral power was chosen. So it happened that both Light and Darkness chose young Ancalagon, the first creature of its kind and of many to come – a dragon.

Thus he formed The Pact:
I. One of the great forces is superior and keeper of the balance
II. The other of the great forces can challenge the superior one
III. The challenge can only be made once a year
IV. The challenge can be battled out only by mortals
V. The mortals can freely choose for whom they will fight
VI. The forces can only encourage the mortals, not aid them
VII. The winner is declared by Ancalagon

So it happened that the weakest held the fate of the strongest in their hands. It was their mortality that gave them the power. For even when all mortals would ally themselves with one side, they would still be short-lived and their children would have a freedom of choice anew.

Creation of the Battleground

In the far north, away from all the hospitable lands a battlefield was created. And once every year the best warriors of mortal lands are invited to come forth and allying themselves with either Light or Darkness to decide who will be the superior for the year to come.

Every year at the time of autumn equinox, when both Light and Darkness are of same strength, in the far north the Nordic Equinox is held. A great gathering of warriors and other mortals of power, this battle and feast is legendary.

Neither magic nor power of the forces can be used on The Battleground. Only the abilities granted by Ancalgon can change the reality that is governed by strength of arms and skill of words.

All the forces can do is to inspire the followers of their cause and hope to gain the loyalty of them and their children, in years to come.

But the choice is free and for the mortals to make - every year anew. Thus even when lost or slain, all mortals go to the halls of Valhalla from where they can freely depart either to their own lands or back to their comrades on the fields of Nordic Equinox.

None want to return to the formless chaos, with nothing to win or nothing to lose only an eternity to battle so with great difficulty the forces still agree to these terms.
There will be an official website also when the information is compiled and translated:

Info and registration will be either through that website or the e-mail address: info@ancalagon.ee

13.-15. September

Viestiketju Lukittu

Palaa sivulle “Sotahuuto 2007 international”