Estonian weapon standards

Conversation prior to Sotahuuto 2007 and feedback afterwards.
saloneju
Keisari

Viesti Kirjoittaja saloneju » Torstai, 12.04.2007 15:00

Bernard kirjoitti:I am very sorry, no offense was meant with the "evolved so far" - I shouldn't have formulated it like that. I am glad you do what you do, the way you do it. My apologies.
Heh, you can be sure there was no offence taken. Just wanted to point out my point of view and ponder about the reasons behind the diffrences in the scenes. Dont apologize :wink:

Gnomus continued very much of my thoughts.
sape
Kersantti

Viesti Kirjoittaja sape » Perjantai, 13.04.2007 09:37

If i have understood it right, on other countries boffering and larping quite much go more hand in hand than in finland where they are more separetad things. If you simplify a bit one could say that larp is improvisaton acting with partly premade plot, and boffering on the other hand is just having fun with friends bashing them, kinda like boxing, but with soft weapons and lots of variety on fighting styles. Also the attitude off "pure" larpers and boffers arent always very good towards the other thing, as one of my larping friend said "boffering is just mindless whacking that ppl take too seriously" and what i have heard from boffers is a bit like "seriously, who goes to some wood pretending to be gandalf and throwing tennis balls as fireballs". These were of cource generalisations, but the basic mindset of average larper and boffer is quite different here, at least in my opinion. I myself have never larped, but i can understand them, it just isnt my thing as imagining some short girl as 3m high demon just wont cut it, if i want fantasy i do tabletop rpg:s and if i want whack people with swords i go boffing, also im not very interested in historical things, so larping a life off medieval citizen would be a bit boring in my opinion.

Anyway, its awesome that you estonian guys come to finland and i wish you will enjoy your time here, i hope that my point on the text wa somewhat understandable.

/EDIT
I just realized this thread was about estonian weapon standards, not how they combine larp and boffering... got a bit carried away ;D. I think here in finland we think latex more of a larpers weapon, and boffer for things more centered for fighting, because at least in here, latex weapons are quite heavy, dont have good thrusting tip, they are too unstable, and also cost a lot and tend to break easily, also boffers offer a bettet "touch" on different kind of weapons, or at least we are more used to them Rolling Eyes . And also most larpers think boffers are quite damn ugly.
Viimeksi muokannut sape, Perjantai, 13.04.2007 09:46. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
Dan
Kersantti

Viesti Kirjoittaja Dan » Perjantai, 13.04.2007 09:51

I understand you - in Estonia here is not line drawn between larpers and "bofferers", though. Here are some minor misunderstanding between steel weapon fighters (re-enactors) and larpers. But some re-enactors do larping, so i can't say that it's rule or something.

I personally respect all people who do such things.

And i thank you, that you have explained these differences between various variants of having fun :) It helps us all a lot.
saloneju
Keisari

Viesti Kirjoittaja saloneju » Perjantai, 13.04.2007 15:15

sape kirjoitti:it just isnt my thing as imagining some short girl as 3m high demon just wont cut it, if i want fantasy i do tabletop rpg:s and if i want whack people with swords i go boffing, also im not very interested in historical things, so larping a life off medieval citizen would be a bit boring in my opinion.
This will be very much offtopic, but as a larper I'm experiencing right now some overwhelming needs to anwers this. :)

Now, must be remembered that larp is an idea not bonded with any time or place, so it's also very much about other things than fantasy (or the medieval). In fact if you take a look on i.e. the finnish larp-calender, you'll find there larps of numerous other genres almost on a regular basis. And even when it come sto fantasy, most games (and in my opinion the good games) doesn't require the short girl to be imagined the 3 meter demon, because there are made no such visually/physically contradictory compositions.

What about in Estonia btw. Are other genres than fantasy popular there?
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Lauantai, 14.04.2007 01:25

Short answer - yes. But this is going off-topic (I'll answer you privately).
Beat up new and interesting people, Nordic Equinox 2013

13.-15. September

http://www.ancalagon.ee
blite
Kreivi

Viesti Kirjoittaja blite » Sunnuntai, 15.04.2007 12:00

I see some really interesting discussion has taken place here (thank you Bernard for creating a new thread for larp discussion).

About limiting weapon weight

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are currently no limits for the weights of weapons in Sotahuuto. Considering the issues of force increasing with the mass as you have nicely clarified, I really think the safety of heavy weapons should be discussed in more detail. I personally think that weapons should be better controlled for their maximum and minimum weight.

But don't get me wrong. Heavish weapons are good especially when training. But in bigger events like Sotahuuto, the issue of safety should be never taken too lightly. Like for example if I really wrap up a piece of metal tube with foam, there a fairly good change I get pass the weapons inspection.
Viestiketju Lukittu

Palaa sivulle “Sotahuuto 2007 international”