Rules and equipment standards

Conversation about Sotahuuto 2013 in English.

Valvojat: Hellowenisti, Teme

Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Rules and equipment standards

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Torstai, 07.02.2013 03:48

Greetings and well met!

It has been some years since we last attended Sotahuuto so I was wondering about rules and weapon standards.

Any changes? Or better yet a place you could direct me, maybe a link? English would be great but Finnish will do as well. Just as long as it is accurate.

With equipment, for us the biggest problem by far is if we have to start modifying stuff at the location. We WANT to conform to your rules and standards but we can not if we can't find them.

There was an issue one time during the weapon check, when we where asked to boffer our shield handles (on the inside of our own shields) - something that wasn't in the rules, but GM's insisted was necessary. It would have been easily done in Estonia but required us to start improvising and messing about in Finland. Generating an overall feeling of dissatisfaction.

We want to avoid conflicts like that and do things correctly the first time!

So especially with weapon standards - know that we will build our equipment by whats written and we are unfamiliar with any "unwritten laws", in the category "so simple that everyone knows them".

So anything constructional or "standard related" we should know about weapons, shields, armor, costume, flags - please take the time to let us know.
Beat up new and interesting people, Nordic Equinox 2013

13.-15. September

http://www.ancalagon.ee
Hellowenisti
Sotahuuto '15 -järjestäjä

Viesti Kirjoittaja Hellowenisti » Torstai, 07.02.2013 14:55

Ave!

It's awesome to hear that you're once again intrested from Sotahuuto. International translation should be in progress at the moment or at least should be well ready before next the SH13. Aarimoto is translating rules from finnish to english for Sotahuuto SH13. He propably knows best what is the state of translation. :lol:

At least we all have to wait that rules for SH13 are published. Organizators have stated that rules will be ready at this month. The executive committee of the Sotahuuto association is processing rules change proposals currently.

Someone else can continue from this and tell how the rules have changed between SH09-12. As already mentioned the confirmed rules for SH13 will be published later at this month.
Life is a bitch, too expensive to be your friend.
Aarimoto
Työn Sankari

Viesti Kirjoittaja Aarimoto » Torstai, 07.02.2013 20:16

Greetings Bernard!

It's nice to hear from you again.

We are waiting for Sotahuuto association to confirm the rules for this year. After that it's my task to translate them as quickly as I can. The old rules for 2012 are here in Finnish. We are expecting some changes to material (weapon and armor) rules, so these are to be confirmed.
Teh Aarimoto
Gonahtanut vanha karhu
N.Hirvelä
Sotahuuto '09 -järjestäjä
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja N.Hirvelä » Perjantai, 26.04.2013 04:31

Here is new rules in finnish:

http://sotahuuto.fi/node/78

English version is coming soon. We are also doing english info about event to sotahuuto.fi. We hope to have it soon on our website.
http://scafightingfinland.com/ - Tule mukaan lyömään haarniskassa kovaa, mutta turvallisesti!
http://scafightingfinland.com/forums/ Rottinkitaistelun uudet foorumit
Harmburger
Paroni

Re: Rules and equipment standards

Viesti Kirjoittaja Harmburger » Sunnuntai, 02.06.2013 10:03

Any news on the English version? The rules should be translated as soon as possible in order to help international participants build their equipment according to standard.
Aarimoto
Työn Sankari

Viesti Kirjoittaja Aarimoto » Maanantai, 01.07.2013 09:34

Harmburger kirjoitti:Any news on the English version? The rules should be translated as soon as possible in order to help international participants build their equipment according to standard.
Yeah,

I'm really sorry to inform you guys that uncharacteristically I'm quite probably unable to comply...

I hit a speed bump at work and haven't been able to do anything related to boffering for two months, nor have I had time to read the forum either. Since my current workload is nearly insurmountable, this is in serious danger of being thrown by the wayside. I will have no time for nothing but critical work issues until October.

I'm dreadfully sorry for letting you down, but this is what it is. The one thing I'm trying to do, is the Ropecon Boffering tournament, but even that I need to go in light, as the situation is damn near intolerable.
Teh Aarimoto
Gonahtanut vanha karhu
Kalle Kinnunen
Ritari

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kalle Kinnunen » Maanantai, 01.07.2013 18:53

Would it be possible to take some load off mr Aarimoto's shoulders?

We have people with language skills here. Why not divide the rules into segments and give each segment to a member or a team of members to translate? These translated segments could then be compiled into a complete translation.

I'm willing to do my part. I have some training in translating but unfortunately my main foreign language is German not English.
Bastard nephew of Vorna
Vibelius
Herttua

Viesti Kirjoittaja Vibelius » Maanantai, 01.07.2013 21:05

Very good idea Kalle. I was thinking about something similar. And it does not have to be Perfectly Correct Oxford English, it is enough if they understand the basic ideas about everything. If something is not clear enough, they could ask. But now the situation is that they know nothing about what to even ask...

Where is the link to the rulebook?
Jätä se herkkukori siihen.
Skylark
Sotalordi

Viesti Kirjoittaja Skylark » Maanantai, 01.07.2013 21:09

What about doing it a "free collaboration" way: Copy each rule segment (rule x.y.z) into one Google spreadsheet cell, and anyone could translate the cell to a cell in the right side of the english version cell. If you get the idea. I have seen this method used in some other projects as well.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skylark
Sotalordi

Viesti Kirjoittaja Skylark » Maanantai, 01.07.2013 21:15

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
olho
Sotalordi

Viesti Kirjoittaja olho » Tiistai, 02.07.2013 04:11

Translation for "valvoja" would be... what? Overlord? Watchmen? Really, this could be funny.

Also is the fighter he, she, they or what? Hir? One?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-spe ... l_pronouns
Vibelius
Herttua

Viesti Kirjoittaja Vibelius » Tiistai, 02.07.2013 14:11

I think even more useful could be a brief summary of what has changed since the last time Vishna participated.
Jätä se herkkukori siihen.
olho
Sotalordi

Viesti Kirjoittaja olho » Tiistai, 02.07.2013 18:49

Vibelius kirjoitti:I think even more useful could be a brief summary of what has changed since the last time Vishna participated.
Pretty close to everything.

Mainly tho it's the weapon padding rules. Easily shown there: http://wiki.sotahuuto.fi/index.php/S%C3 ... setaulukko
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Maanantai, 15.07.2013 20:49

"Kilven tulee olla etupinnastaan pehmustettu vähintään 8 mm paksulla solumuovilla ja pinnoitettu kankaalla tai teipillä. Kilven koko reuna tulee olla pehmustettu kumitoppauksella ja tämän päälle kiinnitetyllä vähintään 15 mm paksulla solumuovilla. Kilvessä ei saa olla teräviä tai muuten vaarallisia osia."

Would the correct English translation be:

"The front of the shield must be padded with at least 8mm thick closed-cell-foam and covered with either cloth or tape. The edge of the shield must be padded with "kumitoppauksella" (???) and on top of that with at least 15mm thick closed-cell-foam. There can be no sharp or otherwise dangerous parts in the shields construction."

I assume "kumitoppaus" is some kind of small diameter rubber hose or similar, intended to prevent the edge of the shield cutting through the closed-cell-foam. Can this be substituted with very thick leather riveted in place over the shields edge (the usage and achieved effect, being the same)?

13.-15. September

N.Hirvelä
Sotahuuto '09 -järjestäjä
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja N.Hirvelä » Maanantai, 15.07.2013 21:22

Mostly people use as "kumitoppaus" like this: http://tsw.test.vilkas.fi/WebRoot/OVK/S ... aletku.jpg

I think that thick leather (like 3mm or thicker) will be good also.
http://scafightingfinland.com/ - Tule mukaan lyömään haarniskassa kovaa, mutta turvallisesti!
http://scafightingfinland.com/forums/ Rottinkitaistelun uudet foorumit
Bernard
Kapteeni
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bernard » Maanantai, 15.07.2013 21:30

English translation problems. I would suggest using the male personal pronoun "he" for describing every participant in the rules. If you feel the need, just add a disclaimer in the general rules, for the English section (no need to translate that to Finnish or Estonian).

I have done the same for Nordic Equinox rules.

A disclaimer like:

"If current rules use the male personal pronoun “he”, to describe both male and female players, it is done purely for convenience of the writers/readers – for Finnish language has no sex specific pronouns. The organizers feel strongly that both male and female participants are more than capable of playing any and all roles and participating in every activity with the same proficiency."

13.-15. September

Viestiketju Lukittu

Palaa sivulle “Sotahuuto 2013 international”